Why We Conducted This Audit
We initiated this audit based on concerns from our previous audit of the Jefferson Sports and Scholastic Foundation, dated November 10, 2010, and its affiliation with Joshua Williams, the Foundation’s director.
What We Found
Foundation Reimbursed Grant Funds for Expenses Not Incurred
• Between 2006 and 2009, the Just Willing Foundation (Foundation) submitted four reimbursement requests to the Department of Social Services that included copies of checks to vendors and other supporting documentation for expenses totaling $9,766 the Foundation did not actually incur, which may have violated state law. Also, the Foundation appears to have donated $2,000 of grant/public funds to a church, which may violate the state Constitution.
Public Funds Used for Personal Purposes
• Mr. Joshua Williams used $11,416.89 of Foundation funds to pay the following: (1) $6,987.20 was paid to purchase math books for resale by his business; (2) $4,124.05 was paid for his personal fraternity expenses and social club membership dues; and (3) $305.64 was paid to himself for office supplies that the Foundation may have already paid directly to the vendor. By using $11,416.89 of public funds for his personal benefit, Mr. Williams may have violated state law.
Payments to Mr. Williams and His Business Lacked Documentation and Public Purpose
• Mr. Williams made cash withdrawals and wrote checks to himself and his personal business from the Foundation bank account totaling $145,948, but could not provide adequate documentation supporting the payments or the public purpose for these expenditures.
Federal and State Tax Concerns
• Foundation Not Tax Exempt: The Foundation claimed on grant documentation with the state that it was a notfor-profit organization and had 501(c) (3) status [exempt from federal income tax]. However, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has no record of the Foundation as a 501(c) (3) tax exempt organization. Since the Foundation’s tax exempt status could not be confirmed by the IRS, the Foundation may have violated state law.
Continue reading “Louisiana Legislative Auditor exposes the Just Willing Foundation Conprofit. A Jefferson Sports and Scholastic Foundation / Byron Lee Conprofit Update.”
Chris Roberts evidently has a bad attack of IBS and attended the meeting using his laptop and Skype from his throne room…
Seriously, from the most recent CFGG email blast:
Supporters of Good Government:
A number of pieces of good government legislation supported by Citizens for Good Government were passed by the Jefferson Parish Council at its May 11th meeting. In addition, after almost two years of attending Jefferson Parish Council meetings, we actually saw a spirited Council debate without a unanimous council vote!
Citizens for Good Government was pleased that the Jefferson Parish Council voted unanimously for the following legislation which we enthusiastically supported:
1. Office of Inspector General Continue reading “Citizens for Good Government updates the last Jefferson Parish Council meeting.”
I am a man who likes to kill multiple birds with one stone so after Slabbed’s researcher and I left Muni court last month we headed over to Lafayette Square to see what was shaking on skid row. As per usual we were not disappointed as we immediately saw the Wino.
“Hey kid, my lady friend wants to have a few words with you.” said the Wino. “I think you’ll like her.” She looked like she hadn’t eaten in days so we went to a local restaurant known for having good turtle soup. Her name was Betty.
“No offense bubba but your work on Byron Lee bites.” she began. “You always talk about following the money but I’ve been waiting for you to do that for months with Byron Lee.” I protested that my work load was amazingly heavy but to no avail as she was having none of it.
“Lee is part of a crime family son, one that is pretty easy to find.” Knowing time was scarce that evening she handed me a dossier on Lee. “Don’t fuck it up!”, she exclaimed, ” I traded a case of mad dog for this.” With that she disappeared into the chilly evening. Continue reading “It”
Folks never mind that Jefferson Parish Councilman Byron Lee has already been caught with his hand in the taxpayer cookie jar as he steered funds from the River Birch landfill settlement to his conprofits where the money was dutifully were looted out as he wants to do it again in an act that defines the term brazen. This is from the Citizens for Good Government email blast:
Item No. 104: We strongly oppose this resolution by Councilman Byron Lee to distribute funds from the Riverbirch Landfill settlement to a nonprofit outside the Waggaman neighborhoods directly impacted by the dump. This resolution states: Continue reading “Byron Lee is still up to his old con profit tricks: A congressman elect Cedric Richmond/Byron Lee charity looting update.”
Sent: Tuesday, October 19/ 2010 1:22 PM
Cc: Antoinette Scott; KSchrieffer; KGriffin; Maxcine Charles; LStockstiH; GBolotte
Subject: Missing Check Copies
This morning, l looked for check # 961200 made payable to Thompson Thibodeaux Community Development Organization for a $100,000 CEA and it is missing. This check copy was not missing when our summer workers accounted for all check copies two months ago. This is the third check copy that I have found missing since the summer workers completed this project. One check was to Jefferson Sports and Scholastic and the other to Visa. If you have any of these, please notify me immediately.
Fortunately, I had another copy of the check to Thompson Thibodeaux however; I am concerned that any documentation left in your work area may get misplaced.
REMEMBER – WE RECEIVED FORMAL NOTICE FROM THE US DEPARTMENT Of JUSTICE REGARDING THE PRESERVATION OF RECORDS. IT lS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO SEE THAT ALL RECORDS ARE RETURNED TO THE PROPER LOCATION AT THE END OF THE WORK DAY.
WDSU reports Check Records Missing in Jefferson Parish.
Copies of checks paid to nonprofit organizations by Jefferson Parish are missing, despite an order from the U.S. Attorney’s office to preserve all documents for a federal investigation into parish finances Continue reading “Oops, did Silly Wabbit Bryon Lee get caught with hand in cookie jar – WDSU reports “Check records missing in Jefferson Parish””