Alternate Post Title: When the FBI comes knocking you know Slabbed’s House be rockin’!!
Last month I attended a settlement conference in Magistrate Roper’s chambers at the US District Courthouse in Gulfport. Typically all the parties to the litigation must attend settlement conferences but the court excused Charles Leary and Vaughn Perret from attending due to the associated travel cost from southern Nova Scotia, which is literally isolated in the middle of no where due to the lack of ferry and air service. Southern hospitality is a good thing IMHO.
I mention this because we were advised by their US based lawyer Henry Laird that Charles Leary and Vaughn Perret were going to sue Slabbed again, despite the fact that everything I have written on the topic of how they fit into Aaron Broussard’s corrupt bribery scheme has panned out 100%. Clearly they do not want their role in this, as Broussard’s American expat Canadian based SLAPP attack dogs exposed but the multiple libel and defamation suits and threats against the news media well tell that sad tale.
Even more amazing are Canadian judges trying to dictate what American citizens are saying online about an American political corruption scandal but there was a good reason the SPEECH Act was passed unanimously by the US Congress in 2010. Canadian libel laws outside of the province of Quebec are subject to great abuse and that is certainly true in the case of Aaron Broussard’s former property managers at the Resort at Trout Point Nova Scotia, Charles Leary and Vaughn Perret along with Aaron Broussard’s law partner at the Super 8 Motel on Clearview Parkway, Trout Point Lodge co-owner Daniel “Danny” Abel. I have been advised that, based upon the experiences of Slabbed New Media, certain free speech advocates are currently working on tweaks to the law. Simply put, the use of foreign courts to harass American Citizens commenting online is a national issue and Slabbed is “lucky” enough to be at the center of things.
I mention this because we told Magistrate Roper that if Leary and Perret wanted to come sue me here in the US where the story is, I welcomed the chance to vigorously defend my reporting. But I think it is now clear Leary and Perret want no part of me in an American courtroom as they have again sued me in Nova Scotia, amazingly asking the Supreme Court there to decide the case under American law. It is a clear attempt to find a sneaky way around the SPEECH Act and is transparently phony but it is what it is folks. Before I share the suit I think we can deduce a few things so here goes:
- To file another suit in Canada, with many of the same allegations as the old suit while they have a SPEECH Act case going in Gulfport seems to me an admission they have lost the first case and they are trying to correct the perceived technical flaws to make a second run. I want to be clear that I am not speaking for Judge Guirola, but to file the second SLAPP suit while the first is ongoing, especially in light of some of the allegations they make in the new suit is a clear concession IMHO.
- To sue again in Canada asking a foreign judge to apply American libel laws instead of coming to the US to file that suit means they know they could never win such a frivolous suit here. The Canadian courts, as is their wont, will actually take this SLAPP suit and the kooky allegations contained therein seriously. That, in turn illustrates exactly why it was filed in Canada rather than the US.
- The couple has previously jet-setted all over the world with multiple dogs in tow, to places like Rauda House in Spain, where they previously wintered. Today they are too poor to travel to Mississippi to their own settlement conference in litigation they initiated, yet they seem to have unlimited funds to pay court costs suing Americans from Canada. It makes one wonder if they have developed an aversion to traveling to the US after the former Goatherder in chief copped a plea.
- The grand homophobic conspiracy has grown and now includes my lawyer Bobby Truitt as well as Concrete Buster’s Attorney Randy Smith. I’d like to note that I have never spoken with Smith or communicated with him nor did I have any advance knowledge of the amended complaint Concrete Busters filed against River Birch which mentioned Trout Point Lodge and Cerro Coyote as Heebe co-conspirators and I have no problem saying that.
- Their suit contained certain paranoid allegations that a Canadian journalist conspired with me to defame them but only Americans are made defendants in the suit. (More on that in a bit.) The Canadian journalist’s sin? He obtained copies, from the public record in Yarmouth Nova Scotia of case documents in the SLAPP suit Leary and Perret filed against Fox 8 and yes, it is indeed time for Mr Bensen came out to play.
We’ve seen this Canadian defamation playbook in action earlier this year on Slabbed. First they make a series of fanciful allegations and take it to a Canadian court, where such allegations are deemed true upon being made under Canadian law. Then they take the default judgment to a gullible Canadian media, who never mention details like the suit was uncontested or the massive corruption story down here that is at the heart of the scandal. Due to the abuse of Canadian libel and defamation laws the media in Canada is neutered thus the poor quality of the journalism. Then they trumpet the findings in the default judgment as being true in American court filings, despite the fact the allegations were literally made out of whole cloth in a foreign country.
Wash, rinse, repeat…..
The irony of Leary and Perret now asking a Canadian court to decide the newest suit under American law is rich as it was a bit over a year ago they vigorously contested a Fox 8 motion to have their case against Fox 8 in Nova Scotia decided under Louisiana law. The Judge in that case, Leon “Pierre” Muise, sat on the motion for months without ruling and the case settled after Slabbed began publishing public documents from the case. I have several documents from the Fox 8 case in Nova Scotia that I have not previously disclosed including this peek at the report prepared for Fox 8’s Nova Scotia based lawyers by Baker Donelson’s Jennifer McNamara on the topic. Conflicting legal positions contrived to satisfy the moment is a common theme with Abel, Leary and Perret. This brings me to that alternate post title because something else was mentioned in the settlement conference that needs to be made public.
Earlier this year Slabbed was contacted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the reasons for that are contained on these pages. To reveal the reason a review is in order:
In January of this year Slabbed began posting affidavits Aaron Broussard’s Louisiana based cronies swore in the Nova Scotia SLAPP suit Leary and Perret filed against Fox 8. These very public court documents painted a great picture of what Leary, Perret and other Aaron Broussard co-conspirators were doing in Canada using the courts there to invade the privacy of American Internet commenters. But some of the documents they submitted were very ill advised.
For instance despite their very public denials, Aaron Broussard’s own lawyer Roy D’Aquila gave up the extent to which they and Broussard were involved in what federal prosecutors would later described as a bribery conduit. The next day I published a sworn affidavit submitted by Charles Leary which openly mentioned his association with Nova Scotia Enterprises and Broussard’s attorney Roy D’Aquila. In a twist of events worthy of a John Grisham novel D’Aquila died of a heart attack within days of the time Slabbed began posting these documents from the Fox 8 case in Nova Scotia. Leary and Perret publicly blamed me in Nova Scotia Judge Suzanne Hood’s courtroom for D’Aquila’s death.
At this point I need to invite everyone to look at Slabbed’s coverage of the Broussard prosecution through the eyes of the FBI. I published two documents from a SLAPP suit defamation case in Nova Scotia which mention the Louisiana based Nova Scotia Enterprises LLC in January. In February I continued publishing case documents and at Mardi Gras I let loose with a deluge of documents from the case including Roy D’Aquila’s affidavit mentioning the same company. The FBI knew something I didn’t at the time, namely that Nova Scotia Enterprises was THE conduit for Aaron Broussard’s bribery scheme. Unlike Slabbed, the FBI did not have access to Canadian court records so I think everyone now understands why I was sought out by the investigative community on that matter and I am proud to say that I not only cooperated with the good guys fully, I vigorously cooperated with them and gave them everything I had with a smile. Broussard has since manned up and admitted to his crimes but for some of his associates trying to bury their involvement, manning up is evidently still not an option.
Finally, unlike some of my brethren in the media, I do not get leaks from the DoJ or FBI and frankly I think we do a great job here on Slabbed without that help so I can not say one way or the other if the FBI is pursuing all the Parish Contractors that bribed Aaron Broussard or the guys that handled Broussard’s business over at Nova Scotia Enterprises, Charles Leary and Vaughn Perret. That said Leary and Perret’s aversion to traveling to the US is noticeable as the gang does not bother to show up in support of their own litigation here in the US. Click the pic to the get entire 55 page PDF of their latest lawsuit, parts of which are completely priceless as Concrete Busters suit against the River Birch Landfill is getting hauled into a Canadian courtroom.