Slabbed reports you decide. (H/T Mrs Sop from today’s Sun Herald print edition)
Did I say award winning? Team Sun Herald did very well at the Mississippi Press Association’s recent annual award ceremony. Included in that number is Michael Newsom for his MDOT travel series and John Fitzhugh for his photos of Gene Taylor’s town hall meeting last August in Moss Point. I had the pleasure of attending that Town Hall meeting on a press credential and stood next to Michael the entire time. For my part I never saw anyone take notes so quickly and accurately. For his part I bet he never saw two thumbs move quicker on a blackberry. My first attempts at live blogging was at that meeting which posts can be found here and here. Frankly the experience is what turned me off to the TEA Party movement as badly behaved does not begin to describe what I witnessed. Here is a list of the Sun Herald MPA winners:
Newsom’s is one of six first-place awards earned by the Sun Herald. Also winning first places are:
- Tammy Smith, best feature story for “Restful Spirit,” about the McKell home in Gautier.
- John Fitzhugh for best general-news photo of a crowd confronting Rep. Gene Taylor at a town-hall meeting.
- Tim Isbell, best feature photo of three hockey players standing above an ad on a dasher of ballerina legs and tutus.
- Tim Lockley, best editorial cartoon for his work in the Sun Herald.
- Kate Magandy Holzhauser, best Web site.